It’s ok if you’re not ok.
I’ve heard from loads of friends, clients, and random folks I meet that everyone seems to be dealing with a lot right now.
And whatever that “a lot” is for you, it’s ok if you’re having a rough time with it.
Part of what makes the processing of emotions so difficult is that we’re so quick to judge ourselves for them. We quickly get the sense that we’re over-reacting. We tell ourselves to ‘get the fuck over it.’ We’re told to man up (which is fucked up in itself) and move on.
But sometimes, the only way out is through.
Which means we actually have to feel our feelings, acknowledge them, and release them as best we can.
A few years ago I had an awesome tarot reading, and the medium said something that really stuck with me. I had been dealing with a difficult emotional issue, and he said:
“You’re being too hard on yourself that this isn’t going the way you thought it would.”
And he was totally right. I was judging the shit out of myself because everything wasn’t going 100% amazingly all the time, and I didn’t even realize I was doing it. Which was only putting more pressure on myself when I was already in a super emotional state.
Releasing the judgment piece of the equation took a load off, and helped me begin to sift through the rest of the emotions.
Are you having a tough time right now? This is what I do to begin to heal when I’m struggling:
- Journal. Journal. Journal. Let it all out on paper. And then, if necessary, burn that shit, rip it up, whatever you need to do.
- Cry as much and as often as needed.
- Keep to a regular sleep schedule as best you can. Some folks tend to sleep too much when they are upset, and others sleep too little. Keep to a regular routine, keep the screen time to a minimum the hour before, and relax with some meditation before bed.
- Go see your friends. Even if you’re not feeling at all social, sometimes the most healing thing can be getting out a bit, hanging out with your besties, and getting your mind off of things for an hour or two.
- Find a support group. Sometimes, we just need a space to vent, share, and know we’re not alone as we navigate our physical, emotional and spiritual health. Check out my free Facebook support group for women, Radical Self-Care for Badass Babes, where we share tons of helpful resources, recipes, ideas for self-care, and advice and a listening ear when you need it.
What do you do to support yourself during a difficult emotional time? Let me know in the comments below!